Re: [VM] imap protocol error after upgrading from 8.1.93 to 8.2.0a (stun

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] imap protocol error after upgrading from 8.1.93 to 8.2.0a (stunnel issue?)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 18:46:02 +0000

Kyle Farrell writes:

> I've decided to take the plunge and stop using vm-spool-files and read
> imap mail from the server.  This is working somewhat ok in 8.1.93, and
> I know some imap updates have made it to the more recent releases, so
> I wanted to try it in 8.2.0a.
>
> However, with 8.2.0a I'm getting an imap protocol error ("missing CR
> before LF - possible connection problem") from vm-imap-read-object.

That sounds like an stunnel problem, but it could be something else,
especially if it worked under VM 8.1.93a.

The thing to do would be set the variable vm-imap-keep-trace-buffer to t,
and, once the connection fails, look for a buffer with a name "trace of
IMAP...".  That shows the dialogue that was carried out with the IMAP server.

If you have changed stunnel recently, then it would be worth going back to
the old version.  You would need to change one parameter at a time to track
down the problem.

Cheers,
Uday