Re: [VM] Unreadable VM-mail folders

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Unreadable VM-mail folders
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 16:54:09 +0000

Dr. Rainer Woitok writes:

> > At a minimum, you should upgrade to VM 7.19, which is still available on the
> > Wonderworks web site.  Some of these problems could have been fixed there.
>
> While I could easily do  this on my laptop, I'm  not the guy who decides
> what is upgraded when and to which version on the Solaris box on which I
> really do my e-mail.  So I somehow HAVE to live with that version there.

Not necessarily.  VM 7.19 should be available as a single .elc file that
doesn't need any installation.  All you would need to do is to download it
and place it somewhere where Emacs will find it (i.e., on some directory on
the load-path).

The current versions of VM can also be installed in your own private
directories, and don't need support from the system staff.

> Hm, that's exactly what my "vm" under Solaris is NOT  doing when I enter
> "s folder" in "vm".  The mail (and the folder file) is terminated with a
> single  "\n",  except  for the  cases where  the original  mail  already
> contains trailing "\n" characters.

Sounds like a good reason to dump VM 7.17 and upgrade to 7.19 as soon as
possible!

Cheers,
Uday