Re: [VM] Saving outgoing messages to an IMAP folder

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Saving outgoing messages to an IMAP folder
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 16:53:12 +0000

Konrad Hinsen writes:

> 1) Use an FCC: header with a maildrop specification of an IMAP folder.
>    I couldn't find a clear definition of what a "maildrop specification"
>    is, but from other uses of this term in the VM manual, I conclude that
>    it must be the most explicit and complete specification, i.e. something
>    like
>        imap-ssl:server:port: ...

Yup, There is a section in the manual saying precisely that.

> 2) Use an IMAP-FCC: header with the plain mailbox name
>    ("INBOX.Sent Items"" in my case, without the quotes) and put
>    vm-imap-save-composition on mail-send-hook.
>    If I try that, I get the error message
>     vm-imap-protocol-error: IMAP protocol error: "server said NO to APPEND
> data"
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone provide a working example setup?

This is the right method to use.  (FCC is handled by mail-mode, which knows
nothing about VM's maildrop specs.)

The trouble may be that IMAP server, once gain, may be doing something
unexpected.  If you can locate the trace buffer and send me its contents, I
can check what may be going wrong.

Cheers,
Uday