Re: [VM] Handling HTML mail

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: [VM] Handling HTML mail
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 22:05:09 +0100

Uday Reddy writes:

 > Konrad Hinsen writes:
 >
 > > I wonder what the state of the art in reading HTML messages with VM is.
 >
 > emacs-w3m.  Also written as Emacs/W3M.
 >
 > I think there is an EmacsWiki page on it, which tells you how to get it and
 > install it.

There is, but it's still a bit tricky, especially for those who (like
me) use Emacs 24. The last official release (going back to 2005!) doesn't
work with Emacs 24. You have to grab a development snapshot, via CVS or
as a tarball from the ViewCVS page. Here is the direct link to the tarball:

  http://cvs.namazu.org/emacs-w3m.tar.gz?view=tar

For installing a development snapshot, you need to have autoconf installed
and run it before configure etc.

 > Somebody still needs to write an EmacsWiki page describing how to configure
 > emacs-w3m for use with VM.  Any volunteers?

I did nothing but

  (require 'w3m-load)

and judging from first tests this seems to work fine. I get HTML mails
displayed nicely in VM buffers, and I can follow links and have them
opened.

I am sure there are lots of useful configurations for making w3m and
vm work together even better, but it seems to work fine right out of
the box!

Thanks for the hint,
  Konrad.