Re: [VM] uninterned symbols

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] uninterned symbols
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 17:15:59 +0000

Julian Bradfield writes:

> Can somebody tell me why VM makes all this use of uninterned symbols
> to store bits of data?
> It's not an idiom I've seen much elsewhere, and I'm not quite sure
> what the point is.

Do you mean the symbols interned in obarrays?

It just uses them as a hash table.  I believe that those were the only hash
tables available in elisp when VM was written.  I thought of converting them
to regular hash tables several times, but it is a big task and kind of
pontless.

Are you running into some trouble with these symbols?

Cheers,
Uday