Re: [VM] recoding mime parts (was: searching in mime encoded email)

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] recoding mime parts (was: searching in mime encoded email)
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 17:12:12 +0000

Julian Bradfield writes:

> What do you mean by an illegal character? Why would you want to stop
> decoding of, say, PDFs to binary? It would save time and space later.
> The main problem with textual search is that the character encoding
> may vary from message to message, and even from part to part within a
> MIME message. Because VM folders are, and have to be, binary, you
> can't search for non-ASCII characters within a folder. I don't see a
> good solution to this, excepting transcoding everything to utf-8
> before saving.

I think it is only the text parts that concern us here, because we want to
be able to search for text.

Saving the folders in UTF-8 or whatever (the actual coding system doesn't
matter), in a non-RFC format, seems to be needed to support search.

Does anybody know how the other mail clients do it, e.g., Thunderbird?

Cheers,
Uday