Re: [VM] How do you access IMAP folders with a colon ":" in them?

From: blueman
Subject: Re: [VM] How do you access IMAP folders with a colon ":" in them?
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 23:07:19 -0400

Uday Reddy <address@hidden> writes:
> blueman writes:
>
>> This seems to be allowed by the IMAP server when accessed from other
>> clients, but vm gives a "Server said "NO" message".
>>
>> I tried escaping and double escaping the ':' in the folder name to no
>> avail...
>
> I don't think it is possible because ':' is used as a special character in
> VM.  I would recommend not using folder names with ':' in them.

Yeah... I just was testing some code of mine and was curious how folders
with colons in them would be treated...
Colons seem to work fine on non-imap folders and they get escaped with a
"\" when one accesses them in the bash shell

I think for completeness, it would be nice to allow such escaping for
IMAP folders too since the IMAP protocol seems to allow such names. (Of
course, in reality, it's not a personal issue since I don't tend to use
special characters in any of my file names.)

> The only way out might be to use Thunderbird or some other mail client to
> rename those folder names...

True... but it would be nice for vm to be similarly functional...