Re: [VM] Any interest in trying to make local vs. IMAP folder treatment

From: blueman
Subject: Re: [VM] Any interest in trying to make local vs. IMAP folder treatment more seamless
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 08:47:02 -0400

Uday Reddy <address@hidden> writes:
> My principle is that key bindings are meant for frequently-used commands.
> For others, the best option is to define aliases, e.g.,
>
>   (defalias 'imap 'vm-visit-imap-folder)
>
> I actually believe that the Emacs architecture is fundamentally flawed in
> its overdependence on key bindings.  I have had discussions about it in the
> Emacs developers mailing list.  Some points have been agreed, partially, but
> the ideal solution requires a lot of reengineering, which they don't hve
> stomach for.
>
> The stop-gap solution is for us to define our own aliases and ditch key
> bindings except when they are really needed.

Unfortunately, vm itself is not just binding heavy but actually binding
dependent in that some key functions *only* seem to work when called
from a key binding rather than from M-x. I think this is true btw for
certain mark-related functions with next command uses marks. So that
while aliases would shorten typing they still don't solve that problem.