[VM] IMAP-SSL with Exchange Server

From: Lewis Perin
Subject: [VM] IMAP-SSL with Exchange Server
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 11:21:36 -0400

At work, the authorities have ditched the previous mail server in favor
Microsoft Exchange.  So far, I’ve been unable to fetch mail from the new
server using my vm 8.1.1 setup for imap-ssl (the server is set up to
reject “mere” imap.)  By the way, I am able to get my mail using an
iPhone configured similarly to the way I’ve set up vm on Windows 7.

When I submit my password for the (default) inbox, the connection fails
immediately with

  vm-imap-protocol-error: IMAP protocol error: "unexpected char (10)"

>From comments in vm-imap.el, it appears that the variable
vm-imap-tolerant-of-bad-imap was introduced in honor, one might say, of
Microsoft Exchange.  But when I tried setting it to 1, emacs held its
breath until it exhausted memory.

Here’s my .vm, slightly altered to de-identify myself and my workplace:

--- start of .vm ---

(setq vm-imap-account-alist
       ("imap-ssl:owa.myschool.edu:993:*:login:address@hidden:*"
      "Work IMAP")
        )
     )
(setq vm-primary-inbox
    "imap-ssl:owa.myschool.edu:993:inbox:login:address@hidden:*")
(setq vm-reply-subject-prefix "Re: ")
(setq vm-stunnel-program "c:/cygwin/bin/stunnel.exe")

; Stylistic:
(setq vm-preview-lines t) ; Show as much of message as possible

; Directories
(setq vm-folders-summary-directories '("c:/Mail/"))
(setq vm-mime-all-attachments-directory "c:/detached/")
(setq vm-mime-attachment-save-directory "c:/detached/")
(setq vm-temp-file-directory "c:/temp/")
(setq vm-folder-directory "c:/Mail/")
(setq vm-imap-folder-cache-directory "c:/temp/")

; Keys

(define-key vm-mail-mode-map "\C-c\C-a" 'mail-abbrev-insert-alias)

(setq vm-mime-text/html-handler nil) ; disable lynx til it's useful
      ))

--- end of .vm ---

Right now I’m baffled.  I would be grateful for any suggestions.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin / address@hidden
http://babelcarp.org