Re: [VM] IMAP-SSL with Exchange Server

From: John Hein
Subject: Re: [VM] IMAP-SSL with Exchange Server
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:55:53 -0600

Lewis Perin wrote at 10:50 -0400 on Jun 15, 2012:
 > John Hein writes:
 > >Uday Reddy wrote at 00:01 +0100 on Jun 15, 2012:

 > > > If it gets this far, then stunnel is unlikely to be the problem.
 > > >
 > > > So, where does it get into trouble?
 > >
 > >You can also skip vm & stunnel completely and use command
 > >line:
 > >
 > >openssl s_client -connect your.imapserver.com:993
 > >.. login address@hidden <yourpassword>
 > >.. list "" "*"
 >
 > Well, that was interesting!  The openssl command got me the “* OK The
 > Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready.” response I expected, but the
 > login request wasn’t even seen as a complete request until I appended
 > the -crlf option to the openssl command as suggested here:
 >

 > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8682976/imap-connection-carriage-return-line-feed-issue-from-linux
 >
 > And then the response to the login request was “login BAD Command
 > Error. 12”.  Not sure what that means.  As I said earlier in the thread,
 > my credentials get accepted by Exchange Server when submitted from my
 > iPhone.
 >
 > I wonder, though, if the -crlf openssl option could be a clue to why vm
 > and Exchange aren’t happy with each other.  Is vm sending linefeeds only?

Re: "login BAD Command"...

You need _some_ sequence before the word "login".
Like ". login you yourpw" or "xxxxx login you yourpw".

When I use "login me mypw" on my imap server, I get "login BAD Error
...." in response.  When I use "xxxx login me" (with no password), I
get "xxx BAD Error".  So based on your quoted error message, I'm
guessing you negelected to add the leading "sentinel" string.

On my server, it doesn't care whether I use -crlf or not.  I don't
know if that's true for exchange.  The exchange admin guys I work with
turned off imap at some point (some blathering about concern for
non-standard mail clients - sigh), so I use davmail to translate
between exchange and imap.  That works nicely, but I can't test
exchange's imap here anymore.

My original email had (verified by bcc):

 >openssl s_client -connect your.imapserver.com:993
 >. login address@hidden <yourpassword>
 >. list "" "*"

Note the single leading '.'.

When I received the email back, it had:

 >openssl s_client -connect your.imapserver.com:993
 >... login address@hidden <yourpassword>

(three dots)

And your quote had two dots.  Is the mailing list munging this for
some reason?

Fortunately, in this case, imap doesn't care if you put multiple
characters there.