Re: [VM] IMAP-SSL with Exchange Server

From: Lewis Perin
Subject: Re: [VM] IMAP-SSL with Exchange Server
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 16:21:47 -0400

Thanks, Uday, for mustering the patience to stick with this annoying and
narrow thread.  I know you have other things to do!

Uday Reddy <address@hidden> writes:

>Lewis Perin writes:
>
>> cygwin warning:
>>   MS-DOS style path detected: c:\temp\vm387560729
>>   Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/c/temp/vm387560729
>>   CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
>>   warning.
>>   Consult the user’s guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>>     http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
>
>So, clearly you need to fix this issue in order to get a clean IMAP session
>for VM.

For some value of “clean”: this is a warning, but is it consequential?
I doubt that this is stopping cygwin stunnel from doing its job, as I
can get to Gmail using imap-ssl by this route.

The file cygwin is complaining about, c:\temp\vm387560729, is the
stunnel config generated by vm.  I imagine vm uses that locution for the
file name because of this line in my vm:

(setq vm-temp-file-directory "c:/temp/")

I coded that because it’s native Windows emacs, not Cygwin emacs, and
stunnel is the only Cygwin program I use.  I’m leery of using Cygwin
filenames in configuring native Windows emacs, to be honest.  If it were
safe, in this context, to code:

(setq vm-temp-file-directory "/cygdrive/c/temp/")

I’d be delighted to do it.  But I don’t think it is.  I got this message
when I tried it:

completion--some: Opening output file: no such file or directory,
c:/cygdrive/c/temp/vm075228092

This way, it seems vm isn’t even getting to the stage of invoking
stunnel and attempting an imap session.

>> * OK The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service is ready.^M
>>
>> * BYE Connection is closed. 13
>
>My guess is that your Exchange server is over-eager to close the
>connection.

I don’t think so.  The “* BYE Connection is closed. 13” line appears
quite a while after vm complains about the unexpected char.

>You might want to check what happens when you do this with gmail.

See above, please.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin / address@hidden