[VM] vm-reply/followup-include presentation

From: blueman
Subject: [VM] vm-reply/followup-include presentation
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 22:43:46 -0400

I'm trying to figure out what has happened to
vm-reply-include-presentation and vm-followup-include presentation.

The describe-function documentation is a bit unclear, since it seems to
imply that a function is obsoleted and replaced by a variable, which is
a bit non-obvious to understand.

If I am understanding the message, it seems that the obsoleted functions
are replaced by a single *function* vm-reply-include-text and the
behavior supersedes vm-reply-include-presentation *and*
vm-followup-include-presentation depending on the value of the
*variable* vm-reply-include-presentation.

All of this is ok so far, but it seems at least from the function
documentation that we are *losing* the ability to follow-up to multiple
marked messages which was a really *unique* and *nice* feature of
vm. Specifically, one could mark several messages in a thread (for
example) and reply to all of them at once.

If I am understanding this correctly, I am not sure why one would want
to regress this function?

I think that as a general philosophy, functions should only be obsoleted
if they are replaced by *superior* functionality and not if
functionality is lost. In other words, if it ain't broke, please don't
fix it or at least please don't obsolete it...

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding...

Thanks,
Jeff