Re: [VM] Setting up VM for the first time - imap to read on the server

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Setting up VM for the first time - imap to read on the server
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 08:54:42 +0100

James Freer writes:

> Many thanks i really appreciate your reply. I should have put the OS
> etc. I'm currently just about to upgrade and just wanted to have a
> look at VM before i do a new release install on my new PC. I do wonder
> if the emacs email clients are rather too complicated for me. i chose
> VM as i thought it was easier to set up than Gnus, WL, MH-E.
>
> OS xubuntu 10.04, emacs 23.1, VM 8.0.13-1, stunnel4 3:4.29-1
>
> I'm looking through those links you gave me.

Unfortunately, any Emacs mail client you use, you are going to be dealing
with 3 layers of software: the mail client, Emacs and OS utilities.  All of
them would also require you to have some profiency in using Emacs.

At the moment, however, you have trouble getting stunnel to work.  There
have been problems with some versions of stunnel, which have been reported
on the web.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vm/+bug/321438

http://www.stunnel.org/pipermail/stunnel-users/2011-November/003379.html

I don't know the exact status of the current situation.  But it should be
the job of your Linux distribution to sort out those problems.

Cheers,
Uday