Re: [VM] Beginner VM questions

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: [VM] Beginner VM questions
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:59:13 -0400

I'm sorry this if this is a duplicate. I tried to respond earlier from
VM, but as far as I can tell, the message was never sent.

At Wed, 19 Sep 2012 06:33:59 +0100,
Uday Reddy wrote:

> Peter Davis writes:
>
> > 1) How can I send messages? I've tried 'm' and M-x vm-mail, but I just get
> > the
> > error: Symbol's function is void: vm-select-recipient-from-sender
>
> I think something went wrong in the packaging of the beta release you are
> using.  If you do `r' for some message then the library gets loaded, and
> then you can kill that dummy reply buffer and continue.

Ok. Thanks!

> > 3) Can I go from IMAP folder to IMAP folder without leaving a trail of open
> > Summary and Presentation buffers?
>
> There isn't anything built-in to do that.  But it is easy enough to define a
> function for yourself, something along the lines of:
>
> (defun switch ()
>   (interactive)
>   (call-interactively 'vm-quit t)
>   (call-interactively 'vm-visit-imap-folder t))

Thanks. This seems very useful. Maybe I can find a way to tie it to the
vm-list-imap-folders function so it will automatically go to the next
folder with unread messages.

> It is necessary to quit the previous folder first.  Otherwise, whatever
> changes you have made to the folder won't be written to the server.  This is
> along the general Emacs principle of working with buffers separately from
> files, in a non-synchronous way.  (I know, the world is going the way of
> 'Google Docs' where everything gets written to the server instantaneously.
> We believe in the server being in a 'fire safe'.  You have to open and close
> the safe every time. Otherwise it is liable to go up in a fire some day!
> Metaphorically speaking of course.)

I have no objection to the off-line editing model. It would be nice to
be able to close one folder and open another within a single IMAP
connection, but that's just an optimization.

Sounds like you are doing most of the heavy lifting on VM yourself,
Uday. If I ever learn enough VM (and enough Lisp), I'll try to help out.

Thanks!

-pd