Re: [VM] Cached data with international characters

From: John Stoffel
Subject: Re: [VM] Cached data with international characters
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 15:35:06 -0400

Julian> On 2012-10-29, John Stoffel <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> This might explain some of the wierd issues I've been seeing with
>>> emails, but I generally tend to run VM inside emacs in a gnu screen
>>> session, so I'm very text based.  And what happens is that sometimes
>>> when I read a message, then move to the next message parts of the
>>> screen aren't re-drawn properly, which is usually fixed with an C-l to
>>> force a re-fresh.
>>> This happens with both 8.2.0b (emacs 23.1.1 centos) and 8.1.2 (debian
>>> squeeze emacs 23.2.1), though I suspect I run into this more often
>>> with 8.1.2 just because I'm usually reading my home email that way.

Julian> Interesting - I see this too, and I'd assumed it was a problem
Julian> in my Emacs. But since you're using fsfmacs, and I use (my own
Julian> fork of) XEmacs, perhaps it isn't.

Julian> But I'm not at all sure how it could be anything to do with VM
Julian> - why would VM be messing with anything as low level as screen
Julian> re-drawing?

John> I suspect it's VM just pushing utf8 or other non-encoded characters
John> into the screen, when Emacs is expecting plain ASCII or some other
John> encoding system.  I'm not sure and my elisp-fu is so weak that I'll
John> never be able to debug it myself.

John> So my setup is:

John>  xterm -> ssh -> tcsh -> screen/tmux -> tcsh -> emacs -> vm

John> so there's *alot* of potential to screw up.  One reason I went to tmux
John> was to see if I could fix the problem, since I assumed it was more of
John> a screen issue not redrawing things properly.

John> Interestingly enough, my home system (the tcsh sessions) has
John> LANG=en_US.UTF-8 by default.  Hmm... maybe if I change that down
John> to plain ASCII or something else things will be better?
John> Unfortunately, I don't have a test email at hand right this
John> second.  I'll keep waiting for it to happen again and I'll
John> experiment some more.

As a small experiment, I did:

   setenv LANG C

and restarted the emacs process running VM 8.1.2 and it *seems* to
have less screen display corruption now, but I haven't been using this
long enough to be sure.

John