Re: [VM] emacs-w3m on Emacs 24

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] emacs-w3m on Emacs 24
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:55:04 +0000

Uday S Reddy writes:

> If I run VM, along with emacs-w3m as the text/html viewer, then any file I
> visit from then on seems to get loaded in "literally", i.e., non-ASCII
> characters appear as octets and DOS line-endings appear as ^M's.   The
> variable `enable-multibyte-characters' is nil in all new buffers.

This problem apparently affects only MS-Windows users.  Unix and Mac users
can rest easy.  Kazuhiro Ito on the emacs-developers list contributed a
work-around to the problem.

The work-around is to put these two lines in your .emacs file:

(defvar buffer-file-type nil)
(make-variable-buffer-local 'buffer-file-type)

This variable will eventually disappear from Gnu Emacs.  But, at the moment,
Emacs24 seems to be somewhat schizophrenic about it.

Cheers,
Uday