[VM] Non-ASCII ISO-8859-1 characters not shown correctly

From: Yoshiharu Kohayakawa
Subject: [VM] Non-ASCII ISO-8859-1 characters not shown correctly
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 19:23:25 -0200

I'd be very interested in learning how to fix the following problem,
related to iso-8859-1 characters not showing correctly in messages
read with VM.

When I receive a message with non-ascii characters and read it with
VM, the non-ascii characters don't show properly, and I see their
octal code.  A screen shot is available at

  http://www.ime.usp.br/~yoshi/TMP/VM

The problem happens in presentation mode with text/plain messages.

The example message of the screen shot, filed in a folder on its
own, is also at the URL above.

I'm on a Mac OS X machine, but I believe this is a problem in
GNU/Linux also.

I have this problem with VM 8.1.2 running on both

  GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36) of
2012-08-27 on bob.porkrind.org

and

 GNU Emacs 23.3.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54)
of 2011-10-25 on braeburn.aquamacs.org - Aquamacs Distribution 2.4

I don't have this problem with VM 7.19 running on

  GNU Emacs 21.2.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) of 2006-05-09 on
galena.ime.usp.br

If I cut and paste the message into a new plain text file and save
it with the latin-1 coding system, then when I visit the file I can
see the characters correctly (such a file is at the URL above also).

One more thing: non-ascii characters are also shown in octal in my
summary buffers, when they are in the subject line of the messages.

I'd really love to know how to solve this.

Many thank in advance!

Yoshi

--
Yoshiharu Kohayakawa