Re: [VM] Non-ASCII ISO-8859-1 characters not shown correctly

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Non-ASCII ISO-8859-1 characters not shown correctly
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 09:49:10 +0000

Yoshiharu Kohayakawa writes:

> Because of the problem of MS email clients with windows1252
> charsets, the variable vm-fsfemacs-mule-p was set to nil in my .vm.

Glad that you have found the problem!

vm-fsfemacs-mule-p is an internal variable of VM.  Please don't change it.

The only problem with MS email clients was that they used to incorrectly
label windows-1252 as iso-8859-1.  But I haven't seen this problem for a
while.  So it is likely that they fixed it.  If so, nothing special is
needed for handling windows-1252 any more.

> This subject line problem in Summary buffer is also fixed now.
>
> However, this fix for the Summary buffer only works for plain text
> messages.  For a message sent in rich text mode, the subject line
> shows the octal codes.

It might be a problem with cached-data.  If so, typing `j'
(`vm-discard-cached-data') should fix the problem.  There are still some
outstanding problems with the cached-data handling, which will be fixed in
8.2.0 release.

If it is not a cached-data problem, please file a bug report with a sample
message.

Cheers,
Uday