Re: [VM] Non-ASCII ISO-8859-1 characters not shown correctly

From: Yoshiharu Kohayakawa
Subject: Re: [VM] Non-ASCII ISO-8859-1 characters not shown correctly
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 10:17:15 -0200

Uday Reddy wrote (on Wednesday, 2 Jan 2013, at 09:49:10 +0000):
 > Yoshiharu Kohayakawa writes:
 >
 > > Because of the problem of MS email clients with windows1252
 > > charsets, the variable vm-fsfemacs-mule-p was set to nil in my .vm.
 >
 > Glad that you have found the problem!

Many many thanks for the help!

 > vm-fsfemacs-mule-p is an internal variable of VM.  Please don't change it.

OK.

 > The only problem with MS email clients was that they used to incorrectly
 > label windows-1252 as iso-8859-1.  But I haven't seen this problem for a
 > while.  So it is likely that they fixed it.  If so, nothing special is
 > needed for handling windows-1252 any more.

Very good.

 > > This subject line problem in Summary buffer is also fixed now.
 > >
 > > However, this fix for the Summary buffer only works for plain text
 > > messages.  For a message sent in rich text mode, the subject line
 > > shows the octal codes.
 >
 > It might be a problem with cached-data.  If so, typing `j'
 > (`vm-discard-cached-data') should fix the problem.

Excellent---it did solve the problem (but see below).

 >                                                     There are still some
 > outstanding problems with the cached-data handling, which will be fixed in
 > 8.2.0 release.
 >
 > If it is not a cached-data problem, please file a bug report with a sample
 > message.

Discarding the cache fixed all subject lines but one.  This is a message in
utf-8, which I put in the file octal_subject_message at

  http://www.ime.usp.br/~yoshi/TMP/VM/

I've tried looking at this message with Emacs/VM with default settings, with
basically the same result.  The behaviour in my two emacses is a little
different, though: one of them shows octal code and the other shows the
corresponding iso-8895-1 characters.

Thanks and best, Yoshi