Re: [VM] Mainly: How do you use virtual folders every day? and other que

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Mainly: How do you use virtual folders every day? and other questions
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 23:31:17 +0000

Kyle Farrell writes:

> lists.  I bind vm-switch-to-folder to a handy key (I use "`"), then
> finding a folder is simply ` followed by C-s and a few characters of
> the folder name.

Interesting.  I never knew about the C-s trick in all these years!  I use
<SPC> for completion, and <UP>/<DOWN> for scrolling through minibuffer
history.  But I should learn to use C-s, which seems more efficient.

> What is missing for me is a summary view of all folders.  Something
> that could show each folder and the number of unread messages similar
> to Outlook's summary (sorry! I shouldn't mention that product).  Seems
> like this could be some sort of speedbar integration.

VM actually has a "folders-summary" feature.  Unfortunately, it is tied to
something called "berkeley-db".  I never had berkeley-db and, so, never used
it.  Arik Mitschang has been working on decoupling the folders-summary from
berkeley-db.  Some of his work can be found in this branch:

  https://code.launchpad.net/~akwm/vm/folders-summary-experimental

Arik, are you online?

Cheers,
Uday