[vile] new vile mailing list -- Please Read

From: Paul Fox
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:19:54 -0500

hi --

this message is to announce the creation of a new vile project
mailing list, hosted at nongnu.org.

the new mailing list is currently intended as the replacement for
all four of the current lists (announce, users, code, and bugs).

when i solicited input on whether we should have a separate
announcement list, the tally was roughly half and half for and
against.  in the interest of simplicity, we're going to start
with just one list, and only add the second if people really want
it.

because we're combining the lists into one, it's entirely
possible you'll see quite a bit more traffic than you're used to,
depending on where you're subscribed currently:  sporadic bug
reportss and intermediate patch announcements constitute the bulk
of the recent traffic on all the lists, and those threads often
don't cross to the users list (which, of course, has the most
subscribers).

you can subscribe to the new list here:

if you want to stay involved, you'll need to resubscribe -- i
won't migrate the current subscriber list.  there's no need
to explicitly unsubscribe from the current lists -- they'll just
vanish in due course.  i'll send out one more reminder in a week
or two, and then i'll be dismantling the current lists.

only subscribers can post to address@hidden, which should help a
great deal in controlling spam.  it will certainly work better
than my feeble attempts with the current lists.

along with the new list, vile gets a home page presence at savannah:
    https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/vile/

nothing much there but links to the mailing list and tom's ftp
area.

(we also still have the "official" placeholder home page at:
    http://www.vile.cx
but since i have to re-request this free service from the nice
folks in the christmas islands on an annual basis, this may not
last forever.)

thanks for your time,
paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 44.8 degrees)