Re: [vile] Errors building vile on FreeBSD

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Errors building vile on FreeBSD
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:10:18 -0400

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 02:45:57PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> I'm trying to build vile (ncurses based version) on a FreeBSD system.

is this the vanilla 9.5 source, or patched up-to-date (9.5j)?

>     In file included from tcap.h:38,
>                      from curses.c:16:
>     /usr/include/curses.h:236: conflicting types for `wchar_t'
>     /usr/include/stddef.h:59: previous declaration of `wchar_t'
>     *** Error code 1
>

> Any ideas what may be wrong and/or how I can work around this?

offhand - the problem is that ncurses declares wchar_t for the X/Open
interface if it's not declared in the usual places.   The system copy
of ncurses is built using some hand-tweaked configuration which may
have been accurate a couple of years ago.  But in the meantime FreeBSD
added a more usable <wchar.h> file.  A quick check shows that they want
to use int for wchar_t and ncurses is defaulting to unsigned long.

Looks like a workaround would be to define __wchar_t (untested).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net