Re: [vile] middle click

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [vile] middle click
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 21:57:47 -0400

mike j dougherty wrote:
 > OK, this may sound a bit lame, but it's been bugging me for a while...

not lame at all.

 > On Linux and other Unix WM's you can highlight text in an xterm (or
 > other window) and paste it to another xterm (or other window) by
 > clicking the middle mouse button (or if you only have a 2 button mouse,
 > but click both buttons at the same time). I love this feature, and use
 > it a lot. But it seems to be configured incorrectly in my vile. It works
 > as expected when I'm using xvile, but not when I use vile. How can I
 > setup vile to get this working like it does in xvile?

i suspect you have the "xterm-mouse" mode set.

if "xterm-mouse" is off (which is how i use vile), then vile
should behave exactly like the xterm in which it's running, with
regard to the mouse.

if "xterm-mouse" is on, then i'll quote from vile's help:

    xterm-mouse Enables mouse-clicking if you are running within an
            xterm.  That is, it allows vile to receive mouse events.
            Since this mode overrides xterm's cut & paste, you will
            need to use the Shift key when pressing the mouse buttons
            to cut and paste between X windows.  Your TERM variable's
            termcap entry should contain the string "xterm" for this to
            work.  (U)

summary:  try turning off xterm-mouse, or use shift when cutting/pasting.

or, maybe something entirely different is going on, in which case
we'll both be glad that tom is not only the vile maintainer, but also
the xterm maintainer.  :-)

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 45.9 degrees)