Re: [vile] Error from xvile after building latest motif version

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Error from xvile after building latest motif version
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 06:57:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, address@hidden wrote:

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 04:20:24PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 03:45:51PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:

I could try the same build on my old Slackware system (where I have
9.3 at the moment) and see if the same happens.

... and I get the same error:-
    Error: XtCreateWidget "menuEntry" requires non-NULL parent

So, for me at least, there's something broken between 9.3 and 9.5
(unless I was using some odd ./configure options when I did the 9.3
build - how can I tell exactly what I used?)

I've done some builds and checks:-

   The 9.3 version from my old Slackware box runs OK on my new box.

   I've compiled 9.4 on my new box with just "--with-screen=Motif"
   and that runs OK.

   I've compiled 9.5 on my new box with no patches at all and just
   "--with-screen=Motif", that fails with the above error.

So the error is something introduced between 9.4 (with no patches, at
least I think not) and 9.5 with no patches.

I'm not sure why, offhand. If the 9.3 executable were linked to a static copy of Motif, that would explain things. Comparing the 9.4/9.5 versions of the menu source code, I don't see any changes that would make the widget's parent initialized in 9.4 vs 9.5 (there are only minor diffs).

I can take a closer look with 9.3/9.4, to see if compiling a new executable would give the same error.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net