Re: [vile] vile strange behavior in 9.5n

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] vile strange behavior in 9.5n
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:16:22 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

Hi,

I´ve now installed vile and xvile 9.5n under FreeBSD and noticed a change in
its behavior.

I use xvile as the editor for writing my e-mails. The text used to flow
very smoothly but now I see strange hesitations when entering text, as
though xvile is doing spell-checking as I type.

What was the older version? It sounds (below) as if you're getting some effect from the locale support (which has been by default on for a few years (20021223). The only recent changes I've made that are specific to xvile were restructuring the internal interfaces (shouldn't be user-visible).

Aside from a couple of ~1996 or 1997 systems, I've not had problems with locale (but generally that's en_US).

This is particularly evident when I write in German, because xvile now
changes ss into szet (ß).

I find this VERY annoying! How can I turn this off? I haven´t changed any
settings in my .vilerc.

Locale support is compiled-in (iirc, it's activated before .vilerc is read).

If it's not that simple (recompiling), then knowing the older version
would help to narrow it down. I do have a FreeBSD 6.0 (but only a US-style keyboard - perhaps using digraph.rc would let me reproduce the
problem).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net