Re: [vile] Is autocolor supposed to work in vile (as opposed to vile)?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Is autocolor supposed to work in vile (as opposed to vile)?
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 06:05:07 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Eur Ing Chris Green wrote:

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 06:51:44PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 09:14:09PM +0000, Eur Ing Chris Green wrote:
Is autocolor supposed to work in vile as well as xvile?

yes, it's supposed to work...

Hmm, well on my systems it works everywhere in xvile and nowhere in
vile.

Well then there's some difference to check on. A couple of thoughts: (a) I usually link with loadable filters or builtin filters - except where I'm testing on some platform where flex isn't installed - so perhaps the problem is with external filters (though why it would work with xvile and not vile I can't guess), (b) there might be some other difference between your .vilerc and mine, so testing with just a "source vileinit.rc" might show the issue.

I have the standard sequence in my .vilerc file:-

    source filters.rc
    setv $autocolor-hook HighlightFilterMsg
    setv $read-hook HighlightFilterMsg
    set autocolor=500

I have "HighlightFilter" to avoid the message.
Also, autocolor=50

After being a bit confused about "to avoid the message" I took a
look at filters.rc and now see what you mean.  That's a good idea
actually, I'll leave it changed to HighlightFilter, thank you.

and in xvile it works, syntax colouring is automatic.  But in vile I
have to refresh manually using ^X-q.

.... but I'm still left with it not working in vile.  It's odd as it's
exactly the same everywhere, on Solaris at work, on Linux (Slackware)
at home and also on ssh connections to other Linux and BSD systems.

Aaaahhhhhh!!!  That's not true actually, the vile 9.5i I'm running
remotely on one Linux system has autocolor working, I wonder what the
difference is.

Is there some configure option that might be affecting it?  For
vile I'm using "--with-perl --with-screen=ncurses --with-ncurses"
and for xvile it's "--with-perl --with-screen=Motif".

--
Chris Green