Re: [vile] Rectangular fiddling

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Rectangular fiddling
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 08:51:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 08:29:03AM -0400, Paul Fox wrote:
tom wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
>> * If one uses `c' followed by a rectangular selection, vile queries for
>>  a string to fill it with.  If the string is shorter than the width
>>  of the selection, the rest is filled with NULL-chars instead of
>>  spaces.  Is this a feature or a bug?
>
> I assume it's a bug (I recall that it's supposed to fill with spaces).

i agree it's a bug.  and while it may have been intended to fill
with spaces (after all, i truncates if the replacement string is too
long), i can't help thinking that it would be more useful if it
grew or shrank the space to fit the new text.  i usually find myself
having to do ^A-r and/or d commands to adjust the rectangle to match
the text.

I was about to suggest that. :) That behaviour is more similar to
what `c' would do in the non-rectangular case.. if it would have
prompted for the new text.  It's nice to keep things analogous
for simplicity (for the mind).

I see...partly (I'm not sure how the whole thing would work).

At the moment, I can clearly see just the bug. My short-term plan was to finish off the remaining development for 9.6 (and try to keep ahead of the bugs).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net