Re: [vile] Making UTF-8 default

From: Chris G
Subject: Re: [vile] Making UTF-8 default
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:39:02 +0000

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 10:24:40AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Chris G wrote:
>
>> How do I tell vile (9.6) to default to utf-8 encoding?  Or does it do
>> this automatically if the locale is set to utf-8?
>
> You can put this in your .vilerc
>
> set file-encoding=utf-8
>
> It's set to use "auto" now, which allows it to decide whether it looks like
> utf-8 or not.  That works reasonably well for utf-8.  For utf-16,
> it's harder (for that, there's the percent-utf8 setting to tweak).

OK, I have done that, but it doesn't produce the result I want (at
least it doesn't seem to).  What I want is that when I enter
characters like the GB pound sign they are put into my file correctly
utf-8 encoded.  What's actually happening is that I'm still gettting
the 8-bit pound sign (as in ISO-8859-1).

As it is if I hit the GB pound key I get an invalid utf-8 character
although vile displays it correctly but if I  'cat' the resulting file
it displays as inverse video ?.  I can only enter valid pound signs
by the clumsy ^VuA3 sequence.

--
Chris Green