Re: [vile] utf-8 and vile 9.61

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] utf-8 and vile 9.61
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:20:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Chris G wrote:

If I edit a file with vile and enter pound characters it doesn't work
properly, vile gets its cursor positioning confused and the characters
actually written to file are not utf-8 pound characters.

I see the general problem of the positioning: when vile reads the UTF-8 characters that correspond to the Latin-1 range, it has to decide if they can be represented as single-column characters. That's working fine on _display_, but there's a bug in the keyboard part of it, so it's moving the cursor as if it is really a multibyte character (will fix...).

Here's the fix - vile now has functions for inserting/deleting either
_bytes_ or _characters_:

...there's some additional fixes needed, will probably have a 9.6j tomorrow...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net