Re: [vile] Unable to cut/paste on RH linux.

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Unable to cut/paste on RH linux.
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:35:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Steven Lembark wrote:

This stopped happening for a short time, then started
happening again:

- Uanble to paste into xvile.
- Paste from xvile into any window from a remote
 host (i.e., via DISPLAY set from remote box)
 blows up with:

hmm - xvile dies?  (I guess so - we should catch the X errors).

$ echo 'X Error of failed request:  BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
 Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
 Atom id in failed request:  0x197
 Serial number of failed request:  1004

This is with 9.6j applied (i.e., everything matching
vile-9.6?.patch.gz) on virgin filesystem (i.e., rm -rf
with extract source).

Code built with:

   #!/bin/bash -vx

   export CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"

   for i in tcap Xaw
   do
       make distclean;

       ./configure                             \
           --prefix=$HOME                      \
           --with-builtin-filters='perl,c'     \
           --with-scr=$i                       \
       && make -wk all install;
   done

   exit 0;

xvile running locally will happily cut
and paste, it's only the stuff coming
from a remote host that bites me.

I'm rebuilding a copy of xvile on my home
gentoo system now to see if this is some
obscene collection of X11 settings; any
suggestions of things to check appreciated.

I read some recent news/mailing comment that said this would happen if one
doesn't have xauth running - at the moment I don't recall how xauth and ssh's X forwarding work together. But that's the general area to investigate.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net