Re: [vile] Columns and linewrap

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [vile] Columns and linewrap
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:28:02 -0400

paul van tilburg wrote:

 > I use vile in a terminal that is 90 chars wide.  However, I always
 > insert/edit with wrapwords on so my lines are never wider than
 > 80 chars.
 > However, sometimes I co-author documents with others that use
 > the paradigm where a newline is a new paragraph, not a new line.
 > For me, by default, these lines look enormously long, so I
 > turn linewrap on for these documents.  Two questions remain:
 >
 >  * Can I make linewrap also respect the 80 char boundary so that
 >    lines by others look like my lines.
 >  * Can I make linewrap do wordwrapping.. that is not cut a word
 >    in two if the 90 (or preferebly 80) char boundary is reached?

hi paul -- tom will have to confirm, but i'm pretty sure the
answer to both of these is (unfortunately) "no".  the second,
especially, might actually be worth a new mode.  or, perhaps
something could be done with read- and write-hooks to convert
"newline means end of paragraph" text to "newline means end of
line" and back, on input and output.

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 35.4 degrees)