Re: [vile] vile-9.6k.patch.gz

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] vile-9.6k.patch.gz
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 05:49:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 08:35:01PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 06:42:35PM +0200, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
[...]
It would IMO be more sane to set the default based on the locale.
I have set LC_CTYPE to an UTF-8 locale exactly for that purpose.
If this is done, this still works for editting latin1/latin9 files
or ASCII files.

hmm - it's a little more complicated than that (I've made some changes
which seem to work, will be testing...).  For _reading_ a file, the
auto-detection is actually needed, I think, to avoid reading a latin1
file as utf-8 (it would tend to be illegal coding). [...]
For _writing_ a new buffer, the locale is more reliable, since vile's
collecting all of the information on that.

So what I've implemented in the past couple of days is a new setting
for file-encoding, "locale", and made that the default.  The existing
"auto" setting tells it to use only its guess, while "locale" tells it
to use the locale-settings for new files.  The other values are still
used to tell it exactly what encoding to use.

This is exactly what I meant to say. Great!  I had only issues
when trying to edit a new file, which was latin1 by default now
instead of UTF-8 by (locale) preference.

good - I'll sniff about the boundary conditions for a few days to see if I
overlooked something.  (if you're impatient, my working patch is in
ftp://invisible-island.net/temp/ )

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net