Re: [vile] Here is the file which demonstrates the insert bug

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Here is the file which demonstrates the insert bug
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:09:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Chris G wrote:

I hae just imported testBug to my home system and I get the same error
when I delete and then retype http://home.isbd.net/gallery2/main.php
if I run in an 80 column window.  The bug doesn't occur when run in a
wider window such that text doesn't scroll off screen.

When the bug occurs vile eats processor time!

OK, the bug *doesn't* occur when I move my .vilerc file.  I'll try
restoring it bit by bit.

Wierdly the bug only occurs after a certain number of characters have
scrolled off to the right.  I.e. if you open testBug, delete the URL
and then just insert characters it dies after half a dozen or so
characters have scrolled off.

OK, the bug still occurs with my .vilerc cut down to:-

   set autoindent wrapmargin=10

When I do this (on a BSD account at hand), I see the line fold up just as
I type the "e" in gallery, e.g.,

                                <li><a href="http://home.isbd.net/gallery2/main>
                                <li><a
                                href="http://home.isbd.net/galle";>Pictures</a><>

Perhaps it'll be different on Linux - the line did not fold up in this
way with the normal vileinit.rc

Removing either autoindent or wrapmargin=10 stops the bug occurring.

So it's some interaction of wrapmargin (causing auto wrap, which it
does during the insertion) and autoindent.  However the bug doesn't
occur at the moment the automatic wrap happens, the wrap occurs
(because of the space between the a and href) and then after some more
insertions vile hangs.  I suppose it *could* just be an autoindent
bug.

I also see the screen flashing after I've inseted a few more characters,
but (inserting another 80 or so), it's not hanging on the BSD system...).

However - the BSD system doesn't have any noticeable locale support.
Perhaps the bug is in one of the multibyte adjustments.  I'll be
able to verify that tonight.

As I see it (and I've just reproduced the bug using different text) it
happens when you are inserting text in a long line such that text to
the right is scrolling off screen and (because there's a space
somewhere before the text you are inserting) the line auto wraps
(because of wrapmagin) and autoindents because the line you were
inserting into is indented.  Further insertions (not quite sure how
many) provoke the bug.

Phew!  :-)

--
Chris Green