Re: [vile] Accented (and other extended) characters lost when pasting in

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Accented (and other extended) characters lost when pasting into vile, OK otherwise.
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 16:10:10 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 04:47:45PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 08:33:11AM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
With xvile, there's a bug-fix that comes to mind.  My 9.6m changes
introduced an error in this area, which is fixed in 9.7c:

 20080727 (c)
        + fix initialization of XIM in xvile; compose sequences did not work.
          Also make xvile build XIM code for configurations other than Athena,
          by supplying fallback for resource definitions.
          (report/analysis by Fabien Coutant).

(UTF-8 multibyte stuff is for this purpose a "compose sequence")

OK, thanks, I'll upgrade when I can and see if it fixes the problem.

I'm so sorry.  I am maintaining vile for Debian (and implicitly)
for Ubuntu and I haven't gotten around to updating it to more
current upstream the past few weeks (months?).  I will create
a new package soon!

I am also struggling with the release system, since I accidently created
an upgrade path from 9.6-k1 to 9.6m-1.  While this may seem correct, the
'm' is a upstream-side thing not a Debian thing, the patching was done
in Debian space.  So I'd like to continue doing this, now that I have
made this mistake but I was wondering if Vile could be released as new
upstream tarball next to the patch, so that I can tear down this
"Debian-space patching".

I can do that, but don't like to keep lots of old tarballs around, which is why I'd put 9.7j for instance here:

        ftp://invisible-island.net/temp/vile-9.7j.tgz

If you want, I can move it under vile's patches directory and bless it ;-)

(I'm about 1/2 to 2/3 through the 9.7k changes, which would allow wide-characters to be checked in character classes - but have been absorbed in other programs the past few weeks...)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net