Re: [vile] Vile saves twice

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Vile saves twice
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 15:54:01 -0400

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 05:41:40PM +0100, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
> Hi,

(I was out of town last week, til this morning)

> I am using a LaTeX authoring system that employes inotify to compile
> the document when the right files change.  This works all find and all,
> except that it seems that if I do ":w", or ":file-save", Vile seems
> to save twice (I get two MODIFY events) while this is not the case with
> other editors.  Is there are reason for it, is it a bug, or a feature?

I just tried inotify, see this from one ":w" command:

foo MODIFY
foo OPEN
foo MODIFY
foo CLOSE_WRITE,CLOSE

vile's doing a stat() call before it opens the file.

I suspect that's where the extra MODIFY comes from (comparing with
the output from strace).  It does that stat() call for the check-modtime
mode.  (It may do more than one stat call, actually, to support other
options; it caches the last information to reuse in cases where that's
likely to be useful).

> Or is this related to my autosave setting?

I assume that could also - but autosave is not on by default.
(I seem to recall noticing the quirk of stat - which shouldn't modify
anything - a while back also on Solaris).

> Another small macro question:  I have created a macro that calls
> find-next-error.  If the error buffer contains no errors, ^X-^X will
> nicely show this on the prompt.  However, when I use the keybinding
> attached to my own macro, I am moved to a buffer containing the macro
> code and the cursors positioned at the start of the find-next-error
> command _and_ the error on the prompt.  How do I prevent this move or
> trap the error and just print something on the prompt?

something like this:

store-procedure oops
        ~force find-next-error
        ~if &not $status