Re: [vile] Xterm titel issue

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Xterm titel issue
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 16:51:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, Paul van Tilburg wrote:

Hey,

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 06:46:42PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
Since a few months ago, I let vile update my Xterm title.  I use the
'xterm-title' setting.  Now, I have some macros that launches a
postscript or PDF viewer (using capture-command), however sometimes
after a call to the macro the title will be 'xterm' and remain until I
restart vile.
Am I doing something wrong or is this just a plain 'ol bug?

What does the macro look like?  In xterm I've not seen any particular
issue with the xterm-title setting.

An example:

; Clean up all files generated from (La)TeX source (log/aux/dvi/ps/pdf).
18 store-macro
 write-message &cat "Cleaning up everything of: " $cfilname
 1 shell-command &cat "make -f $HOME/.vile-rules clean_all SRC=" $cfilname
~endm
bind-key execute-macro-18 ^A-C

I have a set of macros like this and it seems shell-command ruins it.
Possible because my shell (zsh) also sets titles, although it should
have address@hidden:<cwd> as title, not a program it runs.
The macros using capture-command work fine.

Probably the output isn't flushed completely.

I implemented a test-macro for some of the filtering stuff recently
using shell-command, and made the "~hidden" and "~quiet" modifiers
suppress the prompt for "press-return-to-continue" which also can
help in this area.

But other things (than vile and xterm) can interfere with it - for
instance a quick check shows me that screen is filtering out the
title-string controls (a problem that comes and goes according to the
screen bug-reports ;-).

I am normalling running Vile from ZSH on GNOME Terminal.

that probably would work...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net