Re: [vile] Xvile sort of daemonizing itself

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Xvile sort of daemonizing itself
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:31:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:27:51 -0500 (EST)
Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010, Eric Krohn wrote:

Gary,

That annoyed me at first, but there is an easier way around it than
hacking the code.

xvile +fork

+fork/-fork are not in the manual page (at least not in the Debian 9.7x-2
package on Linux), but it does show up if you run xvile -? and it is in
vile's help file (ctl-A h).

The resource is forkOnStartup (I don't recall changing it - assume we're
talking about the side-effects of installing the app-defaults file).

Yup, that does it.  Thanks.

After searching for fork in :help I see that it's well documented.

I was surprised by this, to me new, behavior because I never saw it
before installing 9.7za.

That's because the app-defaults file (from 1999) sets the resource to true, while the compiled-in default is false. But it's only recently that I added makefile rules to install that.

...along that line, the only time I pay attention to the (command-line) option is for debugging.

I can change the resource file of course - so I'm curious if there are
many people happy with the current setting.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net