Re: [vile] Non-us keyboard layout mishandling.

From: Ramil Farkhshatov
Subject: Re: [vile] Non-us keyboard layout mishandling.
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 20:49:24 +0300

Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 03:33:14AM +0300, Ramil Farkhshatov wrote:
> > Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:

> From the reference to glibc, I assume we're talking about Linux.

Yes.  It is Arch linux to be specific.  Sorry, forgot to mention OS in
first message.

> > > I meant something like this (from my machine's "locale -a"):
> > >
> > > ru_RU
> > > ru_RU.iso88595
> > > ru_RU.koi8r
> > > ru_RU.utf8
> > >
> > > Some distributions such as Ubuntu don't deliver 8-bit locales, which I've
> > > used to construct a lookup table relating those with UTF-8 encoding, which
> > > is used in various ways.
> >
> > Output of locale -a:
> > en_GB.utf8
> > en_US
> > en_US.iso88591
> > en_US.utf8
> > POSIX
> > ru_RU.utf8
>
> From this, I'm assuming that the problem is as I stated above.  In 9.8c,
> I added a built-in table which supplies the "ru_RU" part as a "builtin"
> locale using ISO-8859-5 encoding.  vile  uses that for cases when
> the file-encoding is "8bit", as well as to simplify editing UTF-8 files
> in 8-bit locales.
>
> The help-file summarizes this (noting that "locale" is the default,
> which means that vile should assume that your files are in UTF-8
> encoding, based on the "ru_RU.utf8", and the nl_langinfo function):
>
>    file-encoding (fk)
>            This is the character encoding of the buffer contents, which is
>            not necessarily the same as the display's character encoding. It
>            must be one of the following values:
>
>          "8bit"
>          "ascii"
>          "auto"
>          "locale" (default)
>          "utf-16"
>          "utf-32"
>          "utf-8"
>
>            The "auto" setting tells vile to determine the encoding by
>            inspecting the buffer contents. The "locale" setting tells vile to
>            assume that the buffer contents are in the current locale's
>            encoding. The "8bit" setting corresponds to the 8-bit locale
>            support used since 9.3i (20021223). (B)

Yes, I've scanned whole help just in case I missed something, didn't
find anything what would help though.  The "file-encoding" value is
always "locale", at least I don't set it anywhere and ":set" shows it as
"locale".  And I can edit UTF-8 encoded files without problems on
ru_RU.utf8 locale.  When I run vile in C, POSIX, or en_GB locales I see
unicode symbols as \xZZ\xZZ…, but input from cyrillic keyboard layout
behaves nicely that means it does not trigger any commands in normal
mode.  It breaks only in any unicode locale (I tried ru_RU.utf8 and
en_GB.utf8).

> The behavior for the console and xterm should work (works for the cases I
> am trying here).  Xvile is a different case (and from the last report, it
> was working properly also).

I tried 9.8c in xterm.