[vile] utf-8 newbie

From: Paul Fox
Subject: [vile] utf-8 newbie
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 09:50:47 -0400

i guess if gcc is going to start putting UTF-8 in its error messages,
it's time for me to figure out how to display them.  sigh.  it's been
a good run.  :-)

i think my problem is simple.  simple xterm doesn't solve it, but
uxterm does, and the gcc error messages look fine.  running vile under
uxterm isn't so successful.  i unset printing-low/high hoping that the
defaults for everything else would do the right thing, but i still get
\xNN escapes:
    foo.c: In function \xE2\x80\x98ec_write\xE2\x80\x99:
that's true with file-encoding set to locale (the default), auto,
or 8-bit.

if i change file-encoding to "utf-8" i get:
    foo.c: In function \u2018ec_write\u2019:
which maybe is better, but i think i'm on the wrong track.

i have LC_ALL=C and LANG=en_US.UTF-8 set.  i'm running vile-9.7zd
(because that's what came with ubuntu maverick.  i can build a newer
version if that will help).

any ideas?

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 54.5 degrees)