Re: [vile] How to build if uname not available?

From: Daniel Ellard
Subject: Re: [vile] How to build if uname not available?
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 07:25:16 -0400

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 6:57 AM, Chris G <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm trying to build vile on a system where uname isnn't available, it's
> on a Centos release 5.2 system.
>
> ./configure says:-
>    configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one
>
> So how do I specify what configure needs?  Looking at --help it seems
> that I need to set --build=<something>, but what's the something?

I can't reproduce your problem, since I don't have Centos, and I don't
know which version you're trying to build, but from the config on a
recent version it looks like

  --build=MACHTYPE-OSTYPE

(for example, --build=i386-linux)

could do the trick.

The fact that you don't have uname, however, is a bit weird.  The
versions of CentOS that I've used do have uname (and a quick google
suggests that 5.2 is supposed to have uname), and a surprising number
of things depend on access to uname so this might be a symptom of a
deeper problem.

-Dan