Re: [vile] Debian package?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Debian package?
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 18:52:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011, Brendan O'Dea wrote:

On 4 June 2011 19:22, Brendan O'Dea <address@hidden> wrote:
It was retried, and failed again on both.

I finally got around to looking at this again.  Dumping config.log produced
this build log:

https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=vile&arch=s390&ver=9.8e-2&stamp=1313848527

which showed that there was some oddity involving quoting of -DDEFAULT_XSHELL
which I was passing via --with-cflags to configure.  This worked when the
actual binary was built, as $xshell contained the right value, but seems to
have screwed up when compiling conftest in a way that did still compile...

 configure:5100:  gcc -o conftest -O2 -DDEFAULT_XSHELL="\"x-terminal-emulator -e
${prefix}/share/vile/xshell.sh\""  -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fstack-protector  -D_GNU_SOURCE
-D_REENTRANT -DDEBIAN -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
-I/usr/lib/perl/5.12/CORE  conftest.c  >&5
 <command-line>:0:16: warning: missing terminating " character [enabled by
default]
 /usr/bin/ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol
${prefix}/share/vile/xshell.sh\""; defaulting to 000000000040039c

....but hung checking for ANSI header files (configure:5487) on just s390 and
armel.  Weird.

In any case, I changed the way in which this value was set and both
architectures built fine.  For reference, the packaging change is here:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/vile.git;a=commitdiff;h=5e5e67609781bdf4b9bc5c8e163313f89363414d

hmm.  As far as I know, $(name) and ${name} should work equally well
in makefiles.  The reason that I've been using ${name} is that the
same token will also work in shell scripts, which makes it simple(r)
to do substitutions with autoconf.  Is there some reason (other than
perhaps style) with that in a dpkg script?

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net