Re: [vile] Are there any table editing add-ons/macros/whatever for vile?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] Are there any table editing add-ons/macros/whatever for vile?
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 06:49:57 -0500

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:40:55AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:47:10AM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> > >
> > > for instance
> > >   http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/index.html
> > >
> > That would allow me to move from one format of table markup to another
> > but doesn't address the fundamental problem of how to edit a table
> > easily to start with.

For what I would need, it sounds workable (by providing a way to
filter the current buffer so that the raggediness goes away).
I use cindent, tidy, etc., for formatting most of the text that
I'm editing.

On the other hand, though there's fmt and par available, I generally
don't use them for updating a buffer.

> > What I really, really want is something like the table editing mode in
> > Word/Open Office/LibreOffice as a standalone program.  The Emacs table
> > editor is fairly close to this so I'll try it and see how I get on.
> >
> Well after one minor problem (it needs a patch to work!) I have the
> Emacs table mode working, it's pretty good and adds a menu for the table
> mode so I don't have to remember arcane key sequences!  It could well be
> that it's all I need as I don't *really* need tables embedded in other
> text so I can just use Emacs for editing my tables and nothing else.

sounds good (then you may be able to answer my implied question:  does it
maintain the table's cells by preventing you from overwriting the cell
borders?)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net