Re: [vile] command history

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] command history
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 16:06:35 -0400

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 03:50:39PM -0400, Wayne Cuddy wrote:
> There seems to be something I don't understand about how command history
> works. If I enter a key sequence like the following ":10,50y<enter>"
> lines 10-50 are yanked and I see the complete command listed via
> show-history.
>
> If I then try this ":<up arrow>", ":10" is displayed but it never gives
> me the option to re-execute the complete command and what's more
> puzzling is that I can't do anything once the ":10" shows up. I can't
> enter a "," or really do anything else but cancel the command and reenter
> a same command completely.
>
> The above is just an example but there are several situations in which
> I'd expect to repeat a command but can't seem to figure out how to do
> it. What am I not understanding?

Command-history was added on "later" (mostly my changes).

The way command-history works messy :-(

It's also messy to modify :-(

Basically, each of the prompts that you can get during a command is a
separate piece (address and the first command-verb are a special case).
vile glues the pieces together to keep in [History], and when doing an
up/down arrow to scroll through history is using the current position in
the built-up line to decide which piece it can use for completions.

Addresses don't fit well into that scheme.  I recall thinking it could
be improved by making vile smart enough to not care how long the address
is.  But then there's the problem of deciding whether to scroll through
the different address expressions or just the commands that follow the
addresses.

The difference between forward/backward searches is another nuisance
(which I've thought about special-casing to make it less annoying).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net