Re: [vile] Is there a way to apply CTRL-Af} to the whole of a file when

From: James Freer
Subject: Re: [vile] Is there a way to apply CTRL-Af} to the whole of a file when it's loaded?
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 20:50:47 +0000 (GMT)

That would format the whole file which for email (assuming Mutt is like Alpine) one doesn't want. I think he only wants paragraph format like Pico's ^J. I did use vim with Set Linebreak in the .vimrc - can't remember exactly now... but it wrapped ALL because with the >> there isn't then a blank line to mark a separate paragraph. So it was back to Pico until i've mastered colour schemes and other things for my full .vimrc file.

james

On Wed, 5 Dec 2012, Paul Fox wrote:

james wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2012, Chris Green wrote:
>
> > I'd like to do a sort of CTRL-Af} filter on a file as it's fed into vile
> > when I reply to an E-Mail using mutt.  This would reformat the long
> > lines that a few systems produce into nicely formatted paragraphs, using
> > the filter above means that the '>' quote markers are preserved.

would this work?

in .vilerc:

   store-procedure format-all
        format-til goto-end-of-file
   ~endm

on the command line:
   vi -c 'format-all' filename

i don't know how much of the message mutt lets you edit -- if it includes
the headers, you might want the format procedure to search for an empty
line before doing the reformat.

paul