Re: [vile] blinking cursor wiht WinVile?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] blinking cursor wiht WinVile?
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 09:35:17 -0400

On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 03:18:20PM +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Whenever I'm forced to work with Windows I alwasy install WinVile.
> At the moment I have a contract which requires using Windows.
>
> At the customer site I some how managed to get a blinking cursor
> in WinVile, but I have no idae how I did it.
>
> I'd also like to have a blinking cursor at home.  Makes it a lot
> easier to find it.
>
> Of course, it's easy under UNIX, but I haven't been able to find
> any useful information for Windows.
>
> So, is it possible?

vile's not doing anything specific for this (I didn't recall, but grep
would have shown me).  But I see a clue in ntwinio.c in a comment:

            /*
             * This is the undocumented (as near as I can tell)
             * WM_SYSTIMER event that seems to occur whenever the caret
             * blinks.  This is a background "noise" event that can
             * be ignored once dispatched.
             */

Referring to

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms646968%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms648397%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms648404%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

and

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/208107-cursor-blink-rate-set.html

it seems that allowing the caret (the drawn cursor) to blink is a feature
introduced in Vista, and might be configurable outside winvile as indicated
on the last page mentioned.  If so, it's a global setting (which means that
winvile shouldn't do this, itself).

(I added a to-do item, though at the moment I'm deep in byacc and have xterm
next...).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net