Re: [vile] Colour problem with vile on upgrade from Xubuntu 13.10 to Xub

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: [vile] Colour problem with vile on upgrade from Xubuntu 13.10 to Xubuntu 14.04
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 17:36:20 +0100

On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 10:51:29AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 01:51:27PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> > I have just upgraded my system from Xubuntu 13.10 to Xubuntu 14.04, I
> > had to recompile vile (and xvile) because some of the libraries had
> > changed.
>
> hmm (I only recall perl as being a problem).  I've started setting up a 14.04
> VM, to see what I can reproduce.

Yes, I think it was perl that it complained about.

> That will be problematic, since Ubuntu lags a year or so behind getting on
> board with VMware Tools (the easiest way of fixing its display resolution).
> The system settings displays are cleverly designed to shove the active
> controls
> out of reach on an 800x600 display.

I'm beginning to find my Acer netbook a problem from that sort of
point of view, there are lots of web pages that have menus and such
that simply don't fit on a 1366x768 display.

[X]ubuntu is similarly slow with VirtualBox updates (which is what I
use) but I've added the Oracle Virtualbox repository to my software
manager and the latest 64-bit VirtualBox is always there.

With 'set fcolor=black' added to my .vilerc it's not a big problem but
there's definitely something wrong.  I've not yet built xvile for the
new system, if anything useful/odd appears then I'll report it.

I'm happy to try any tests that might be useful.

Thanks! :-)

--
Chris Green