Re: [vile] [Too many levels of files]

From: Wayne Cuddy
Subject: Re: [vile] [Too many levels of files]
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 12:41:05 -0400

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 05:33:29PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 04:22:34PM -0400, Wayne Cuddy wrote:
> > >
> > > That will happen if there's more than 9 levels of macros.
> > > (It's hardcoded - hasn't been a need to make it configurable).

> > > offhand, the only thing that comes to mind is some macro which is
> > > recurring, e.g., by calling itself.
> >
> > I use the same configuration on all my systems and I don't "think" I have
> > any macros that do that. Once the [Too many ...] message appears does
> > that mean that the execution would terminate? If I hit escape and it
>
> It means that the expression-evaluation will return an error - and
> since that's usually handled correctly, we'd expect the error to propagate
> up and terminate the macro.  (If "~force" was used, that might be ignored).
>
> > aborts I'm wondering why the message appears again within a few seconds.
>
> I don't have a good guess...
>
> > I'll try running with '-D' to see if I notice anything interesting if it
> > happens again.

It turns out that running with -D helped determine the problem. The
autocolor-hook is executing repeatedly. I have autocolor=5000. But I'm
not sending the editor any input when this is happening. It happens on
the console, in xterm windows as well as in xvile. I set nohighlight and
the problem went away. I set X focus to another window and it still
happened. I have a copy of the trace log (-D) if that will help? I was
editing my .fvwmrc file at the time... here is what the tail end of
trace log shows.

running autocolor-hook HOOK with HighlightFilterMsg, current .fvwmrc
[HighlightFilterMsg]:1 (0/0):HighlightFilter
[HighlightFilterMsg]:1 (0/0):HighlightFilter
[HighlightFilterMsg]:1 (0/0):HighlightFilter
[HighlightFilterMsg]:1 (0/0):HighlightFilter
[HighlightFilterMsg]:1 (0/0):HighlightFilter
[HighlightFilterMsg]:1 (0/0):HighlightFilter
[HighlightFilterMsg]:1 (0/0):HighlightFilter
[HighlightFilterMsg]:1 (0/0):HighlightFilter
BEEP
*