Re: [vile] Question on input of UTF8 char's in programs.

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: [vile] Question on input of UTF8 char's in programs.
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 09:01:04 +0100

On Tue, Sep 09, 2014 at 05:41:39PM +1000, Brendan O'Dea wrote:
> On 9 September 2014 15:13, Steven Lembark <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Let's say I needed to enter a UTF8 character in my programs: "ยป".
> >
> > Call it U+00BB, c2 bb, or "RIGHT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK".
> >
> > Q: What are the appropriate keystrokes for entering the beast in X11?
> >
> > Searching for various permutations on [x]vile, UTF8, and the specific
> > charater havn't turned up anything that works.
>
> See the vile.hlp file, and search for "three ways of getting 8-bit
> characters".
>
> In order to use the first (directly), you need get your X11 keyboard
> to send the characters.  There are various ways to do that, but the
> simplest is to configure a compose key.  If you use Gnome or KDE then
> there will be a control panel to select one.  If you have a different
> environment, then you may need to set it up in xorg.conf, or using
> something like "setxkbmap -option compose:ralt" (see

I use xmodmap which is pretty universally available.  If you create a
file ~/.Xmodmap then xmodmap will be invoked automatically at login
and use the contents of ~/.Xmodmap to configure your keyboard.

To configure one of my Windows keys as the compose key I have:-

    keycode 134 = Multi_key

(to find the keycodes use xev)

I also switch off Caps Lock (horrible key) with my .XModmap:-

    keycode 66 =

--
Chris Green