Re: [vile] problem with 'wide characters' (utf-8) under macosx

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [vile] problem with 'wide characters' (utf-8) under macosx
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 19:00:06 -0500 (EST)

----- Original Message -----

Did you build it, or are you using a port?

The most common pitfall is if vile is built using "--with-screen=curses"
or "--with-screen=ncurses".  These work: "--with-screen=ncursesw" and
"--with-screen=tcap"

That's because the plain curses configuration doesn't support wide-characters.

(I just checked that the "tcap" one which I build for myself works as expected).

However - your comment says that it's working in urxvt/xterm.
It shouldn't make any difference (the compiled-configuration,
along with the runtime locale-settings are the main factors).