Re: [vile] Some questions about the -k/-K options and encryption

From: Chris Green
Subject: Re: [vile] Some questions about the -k/-K options and encryption
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 19:36:27 +0000

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 08:28:43AM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
> chris wrote:
>  > On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 06:39:34PM -0500, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>  > > On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 10:02:11PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
>  > > > I am trying to make a few things slightly more secure on my system.
>
> i'm sure you know this, but just in case...  if you're looking to do
> anything more simple obfuscation of your content, you should be using
> something much stronger than crypt.  gpg is a much better bet.  i
> haven't used vile's gnugpg.rc macros in many years, but i assume
> they're still functional/viable.

Yes, I know its encryption isn't very strong but on the other hand I
think the way I'm using it makes it very unlikely to get broken.

Given a file and the knowledge that it might be encrypted with crypt()
what methods of attack are there?  It's not like a password where you
can brute force it by guessing lots of passwords until the result
matches the password file (well shadow file) entry.

--
Chris Green